Sunday, August 16, 2009

Where the rubber meets the road.

Today I trained on the bike which I have been saying is my “Strength”. Now I recognize that something can be your strength and you can still suck at it. It took me 38 minutes to ride 6 and half miles with only a couple small hills. My little goals were to pedal the entire time and not have to get off the bike. I did not think I could stay on the bike for the last hill which about 40 yards long and what I would call steep I did manage to stay on the hill and then after the top I began to not feel so good. A little light headed and sick to my stomach. The next small incline became a hold back the acid you sort of get in the back of you throat. Then I turned the corner and only had 100 yards to go. I wobbled the last flat road expecting to hurl at any moment just trying to get to the driveway and complete the ride. I made it half way up the drive way sure I flopped onto the grass AHHHHHH. The world stopped swaying and I felt a little better. Five minutes later I was able to stand.
I can not tell if I am just horribly out of shape or pushing myself to hard. Either way I did have this thought about halfway through “Exercise is hard” and then came the next great revelation “Exercise is tiring”. I think the biggest realization was “I like blogging about exercise a lot more than doing the exercise”.

As I talk about doing this Triathlon my excuses keep drying up and getting wiped away. I was talking with Julie (a friend I work with) on the train home Friday night and she told me of a pool that was downtown. She says the membership fee isn’t expensive. That killed my swimming is too expensive excuse (because Island Athletic charges too much). Then on Saturday I met up with a group of old friends and one of the first conversations I had is with Angela. We started talking about how much we both hate running and both have become non-smokers. She mentioned that even though she hates it she is working running into her daily life.
This sort of spontaneous meeting of people who are also transforming themselves by adding exercise is wiping away any excuse that “Nobody understands” or that “I am all alone” in my efforts to add exercise into a sedentary life.

2 comments:

  1. I have run out of excuses for avoiding the swim, time to make a fool of myself in the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are al in now if I could just find a way to ride like you and run like you. I think I already know how to flail in the water like you.

    ReplyDelete