Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rainy day Running.

I ran/walked 3 miles today in the same 40 minutes and it did not feel any better.
I have been getting lots of good advice and it all sounds great. However none of the good advice helps my thighs or eases the sore feet. I ran in the rain for the first time and I thought it might make me feel tough or like a real runner. At first as I walked out to the road I felt like a rock star but then when I actually had to start running I only thought “My legs don’t want to do this”.
My brain still likes the idea but my brain doesn’t have to do any of the work. My lungs and my legs are the poor bastards doing the heavy lifting.
Here is what goes on in my head.
Brain “Hey lets go running early in the morning on Saturday”
Legs “What a stupid idea! Hey Lungs did ever here of such a stupid idea
Lungs “Actually yes. It was the same Brain that thought smoking for 30 years was a good idea. This one is only marginally better.”
Legs” Well for me that was easier and I have a mind to tell the pink sponge upstairs to put a cork in it” Feet chime in “Yeah us too, we ache constantly now”.
Lungs”Well smoking was not so great for me.”
Brain “Quiet all of you. If I do finish this I will feel STRONG and Positive about being one step closer to becoming a tri-athlete. I want to keep training so that other idea (becoming a Triathlete) does not appear totally misguided.”
Legs “That idea was totally misguided”
Lungs “That is true, there was very little evidence that being a Triathlete was a realistic goal.”
Feet “Yeah totally misguided!”
Brain” So what! I am running this circus and I say were doing this. We are all in it now so no turning back.”
Feet “Why not just stop”
Legs “yeah why not”
Lungs “Careful...doesn’t talk like that or you will get that stupid pink sponge to call Pride. If Pride gets involved we can all forget about any chance of stopping or any concern for our comfort level?”
Legs “True, Pride doesn’t play nice at all; he is just a dense dum dum.”
Feet “ Oh yeah I remember when pride made us walk 5 miles in dress shoes just to get home from a really stupid job that Brain got us into to begin with.
Brain” Did someone say Pride? I wonder how he has been lately I think I will give him a call…..”

In the end I learned that running in the rain is wet and wet clothes get heavy and not so comfortable. Good thing I was wearing my wick away shirt. Only thing touching me was water from the rain. The shirt wicked and wicked and no sweat remained.

No comments:

Post a Comment