Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day of Recovery

So I read my last post and it didn’t make sense to me so I am pretty sure it would not make a lot of sense to anyone else reading it. What happens is I sometimes think a thought and half write it out and half think it when another thought comes along and like a derailed freight train the first thought is gone while the second goes on and on (like my sentences). That is not bad grammar it is my unique literary style.


The point I was saying about mental change in strategy is that when I started I could do something every day; or 6 out of 7 days. That is okay when you are walking stairs for 45 minutes. Or if you run 1 mile. Or swim for 25 minutes. At the time it was more a need to build momentum so my body not used to being “in motion” would stay “in motion”.

Losing that momentum is much less of a risk now. Now that my something’s have grown to a run of 5-10 miles, or a bike of 20 miles and or a swim of a mile and a half, I need to re-think the schedule so I don’t “over train” and injure myself. As more experienced people than me have informed me that “over training” causes a lot of injuries and most novices do not allow enough rest time for their bodies to recover. This seems like it would be easy but I am finding it is not. With the Triathlon only 40 days away and looming I am desperately trying to be as ready as I can be.

Wow 40 days left means I have been in training for 325 days so far. Sheeze that’s a lot.

Today I am resting because my back is sore and I want to be gentle on myself. Actually I would like to train but I need to be patient and let my body recover. It is harder to be patient now that I can do more exercise, but I will work on it. I did really get a lot out of the open water swim clinic the Masters swimmers put on last Sunday. I was able to get a little practice swimming in a group and sighting and some other tips. South Whidbey is a great community and a great place to train with the trails and roads and lakes all around. This adventure started being attractive to me when I saw how much of the a community event the Triathlon was last year. I was standing at the finish line waiting for my incredible wife when something hard hit me in the head, then I was rubbing my head seeing stars and watching her finish when a thought came to me….wait a second……. He he he
Have a great day.

Todays motivational music selection “Momma said Knock you Out” LL Cool J.

No comments:

Post a Comment