Monday, January 25, 2010

NOOKACHAMPS 5K - My first

Offical time = 32:15
Official rank = 75 out of 194 participants.
This is the official time listed on the Nookachamps website of my first 5K.

I am happy to have been a participant and I look forward to doing more races in the future. I am very glad that Amanda ran with me because this is the farthest I have run without walking or stopping in the middle. When she stayed with me I knew I would not stop or even try to rest because she wouldn’t let that happen.
This race was really fun and a major accomplishment that I am proud of. Looking at the list of racers I am humbled by some of those who finished ahead of me.
Emmie Sullivan who finished in 28:43 was the seven year old who passed me around the halfway point. – Well the youth have the advantage of youth. As I watched her run I thought “she is not running for anything more than fun and because her dad and sister are. By the way her 11 year old sister ran it in 22:26 which placed her at 22 out of 194.
It is not restricted to the young either for instance, 63 year old CB Crouse finished 14th at 21:40. Wow 59 year old Steve Hamilton placed 10th overall with 21:12.
Maybe you runners out there are used to this but it is new to me. People are freaking amazing and inspiring. This is one of the reasons I like watching TV shows like the “Biggest Loser” and “Extreme Makeover Home Edition” because of the stories of the people. Because I find average everyday people amazing and incredible. They are all around every day, sitting next to you and people you have known for years.

As I was struggling between mile 1 and 2 I couldn’t help but think of those contestants on the biggest loser running a Marathon as they are 50 to 150 pounds overweight. You might say they walked parts of it but I say they are all freaking awesome and they inspire me. I have to ask myself am I really pushing as hard as I could?

1 comment: