Thursday, January 28, 2010

February the funny spelled Month

Just Show UP!
I don’t know if any of you real Triathletes ever feel like this? Some days it seems like the only thing good about my workout was just showing up. Today’s swim went that way. I seemed to forget everything I ever knew in the first 2 laps and then struggled to remember it the rest of the way.

What is starting to happen now days is when I get in the pool and start down the lane on the first 25 yards me just “feel” the water as I glide softly through it. I feel like I am slipping through the water without much effort. Letting my body begin to remember what it is supposed to do here. It is a cool feeling, leaves the worries of the day behind and allows me to be present to that exact moment. It is not Nirvana but it is a step closer. Then I start to “do something” because I think I have too and my body doesn’t do what I want and so I struggle to make it do what I think it should. The interesting thing is the struggle is sort of with me because if I relax and just stop trying so hard it usually goes better.

When you watch some of the good swimmers they look almost effortless and are traveling down the lane as fast as the swimmers “slamming” their way down the lane. I aim to become one of those graceful swimmers.

One of the aspects of training for Triathlons is if I get tired of running I can elect to swim or bike that day instead. It makes it easier to train because you have multiple disciplines to practice. I should go spinning on Friday but I am not too excited about doing that. So maybe I will swim or run instead. I am so so happy it is getting light out again for longer time during each day. I love the lengthening of days during this time of year.
Yesterday I had to put in 10 hours at work so I didn’t manage any training, but we are getting closer now and once we get half way I expect to be doing some form of training 6 out of every 7 days.
I want to work in Yoga again because it feels good getting the stretching in on a daily basis. I hate that the only time I can work it in to my schedule is at 4:00 am. Alas! Yoga feels good but getting up then does not. I need to stretch my muscles but I also need to sleep as much as I can. I am already at best getting 6 hours of sleep most nights. This is where I can’t decide if I need to exercise more discipline with myself and just do it. Do I need to carve some time out of other parts of my day? That does not seem realistic (carving out time).
As I exercise more I haven’t really lost much weight. Surprised? Wait, I think I have been eating twice as much and often at 9 pm right before bed. So I need to learn to be hungry more and avoid eating after 8:00 (two hours before bed time). I have been thinking about tracking everything I eat for 1 month. Not to count calories, I hate doing that but just to become aware of what I am eating and how much I am eating.



So for February I am going to raise my own bar. I will train 6 out of every 7 days. Do yoga 6 out of 7 days and write down everything I eat for the entire month. Oh my other personnel goal is to learn more about my Thyroid. Oh Yeah! I promise to blog and bore the hell out of anyone reading these juicy exciting morsels of my existence, once every day.
Wahoo.
“Some where someone musta kicked you around some. Baby. It don’t really matter to me. Everybody had to fight to be free but ya don’t have to live like a Refugee.” Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment