Friday, October 9, 2009

My mini - Brick

Wednesday I walked the stairs.

Thursday I did swim for 30 minutes which was 15 laps = 750 yards and then I ran mile and a little more at night when I got home.

In Triathalon training when you do two of the 3 sports together on a day it is called a "Brick" Well really I think your suppossed to do them right together but that is not what I did. My mini Brick is smaller ammounts and sort of like a kiddy pool.



My Swimming focus is all about learning to breath and 8500 other things but then once I swallow some water it easily reverts to the one thing. Learning to breath, and I have discovered that I am not Aqua Man. Of all the super friends he was the most one dimensional. I am not knocking him because he might find me one day and play the panic game with me which is not a fun game. What is the "panic game" you ask?

That is a game my wife made up because when we are in the shallows at the beach I playfully threw her in the water when she may not have wanted me to. So she developed the panic game as a nice revenge because she is a strong swimmer and I am not. So whenever we get in water over my head she meanders over and pulls me down (under water) until I panic (because I am afraid of drowning). She finds this very amusing but me ... not so much. And if you were wondering fake panicing doesn't work.

Needless to say our relationship becomes very different at that point.



Where was I oh yeah I need to learn to swim a lot farther and without stopping. Amanda tells me I need to learn to swim twice the distance in the pool to prepare for open water. So 36 laps = a mile and I am currently doing 15 laps in 30 minutes. I also am stopping to rest every 25 yards. There is a lot of work to be done in this area. Yikes



Little victories keep me moving, like the run I currently do has a small hill just after the 1 mile mark and until last night I have only made it up 30 of the 40 yards and then had to walk. So last night I made it to the top and then another 50 yards before walking. That is the best run I have done so far. I felt really strong, I felt my eye of the tiger coming out. I imagine what it will be like to finish that hill after a 2nd lap.

I also noticed as I started to walk that it is not my legs stopping me, at this point it is my lung power. That seems to be growing but the lame part is to make it keep growing I have to keep running. I think this week makes 1 year of not smoking, I think it was October 4th that I had my last one.

I am now visualizing running the loop twice which is what the 5K will be in terms of distance. I hope to be there by November when we do that run in Seattle, I would like to complete the 5K without stopping.

I have learned to love my running shoes, I would marry them if I could but I am already married. My regular daily shoes are sucky, and I think bad thoughts of them every time I have to put them on. Bad shoes, uncomfortable shoes, broken shoes !

No comments:

Post a Comment