Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Running weekend

Friday I did the Linda Lane run which is about 3 miles with a decent (200 yards at 15 % slope) hill in the middle. Probably still show how I am rookie by being impressed with a 3 mile run. Yeah I’m a Rookie. Then Saturday I did a small 1.5 run to tire out my dog “Lulu”. Sunday I ran 4 miles on Heggenes Rd. but had to walk the last 3 blocks of the hill. I managed to run up the 1st block but for those of you who have never been on it let me describe it. Start with a beautiful country road straight out of a Budweiser commercial complete with horses on the right side and cows and dogs on the left. Then take a mile of that road and angle it about 16 %, toss in 3 corners and a nice pretty almost tree tunnel and there you have it. A picture perfect Sunday drive in the country road. Now get out of the car Mr. Pretty face and run that damn hill. Not so pretty or picturesque from your tennis shoes is it? No, in fact it is an ugly hill from my current perspective. Pretty horses and cows leave pretty smelly droppings which when you are sucking wind hard very UN avoidable. Making it worse is that my wife used to run it regularly and now it is smaller and shorter than the hills she has graduated to. Arrgh ! Now I have to learn to run this thing and get it done at least once so I can say I did. It is not so easy because it doesn’t come up until 3 miles into the 5 mile run. This is going to take some Baby steps.

My February goals have completely fallen apart in that I have not recorded what I eat every day and I have not done any Yoga but I have managed to keep exercising 6 out of 7 days. So one out of four is not bad.



I watched an Oprah show about Diabetes and it was amazing how much sugar we eat annually. Dr Oz was showing that Americans eat in total about 120 pounds of sugar each year. And about 40 pounds of sugar every year more now than when our parents were walking up hill both ways to school. Waow is all I can say. I also saw on “The Biggest Loser” this famous chef saying if you want to sweeten things you caramelize them to bring out their natural sugars. Caramelized doughnuts might taste pretty good. Seriously one doughnut had on average 13 teaspoons of sugar. That makes me sad and I am trying to forget that fact as fast as I can. Where is that good old American denial when I need it? Doh !

What is life without doughnuts? No life at all that’s what! Maple Bars probably have 17 or 18 teaspoons of sugar. But wait! Maple is natural so then Maple Bars are natural and that must mean they are good for you. There it is my friends. Justification for while the maple Bar is better than any other doughnut. Take that to the bank of “WhyMeAssGettinBigger” and stick it. I love my denial, it is a very ancient soul.



I swam today and did my 1000 yards and it felt stronger than ever before. I did not need to roll on my back and play gasping for breath as much as I usually do. I may not need those water wings with Lightning Bolts on them for race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment