Monday, February 22, 2010

Look what I can do !

Personnel Best
Sunday I had to take advantage of that wonderful weather and run in the sun. I have taken the last 3 days off just to rest my back which has been sore for the past 2 weeks. That is difficult to do, at least for my psyche. Taking time off of any kind feels like slowing down (because it is slowing down) and I get really impatient because I am afraid of coming to a complete stop (me as a couch potato is a complete stop). It is much easier staying active and it is like those laws of physics “Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion; Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.” O well I was C physics student so maybe that is not the exact quote but you get the idea. It can be frustrating when I don’t exactly know how I made my back sore. So I am not even sure if skipping running or skipping swimming or just sleeping funny will help improve it. I suspect that I am carrying more weight than is beneficial. Coach me is telling workout me that it would be easier if you lost another 11 pounds. I am currently 211 and I think it would help if I could shed another 11 pounds. I am not doing this to lose weight so I have not paid much attention to the fact that I now eat a little more. I will admit I might eat more like a hobbit nowadays. I have 3 breakfasts (I plan on working out today) and lunch (I work out first) and a snack for the way home (I worked out earlier) and dinner (for the kids regular dinners are important to building strong family values) and desert and late night snack or 2nd desert around 9:30 right before I go to sleep.

“I like to eat, I like to eat, apples and banaynays”

I plan on improving my choices and mixing in more vegetables and fruit not in that particular order. In the book I just finished the author talks about having Salad for breakfast and that just sounds insane to me. Breakfast is my favorite meal and should be loaded with Butter and Sugar no matter what the delivery system. Pancakes, Waffles, Cinnamon Rolls, Cap’N Crunch Cereal with butter on top. Who cares as long as it is fried? Yum Yum. This brings up a pet peeve of mine. The importance of eating your meals in the proper order (except Breakfast which can be eaten at any time). My wife, is a wonderful woman, however she often goes straight to ordering lunch before she has had the breakfast and it disturbs me very very much. I live with it but jeez she must have something wrong with her when she can order a sandwich at 11:00 am without having her breakfast yet. Just plain WACKO.

However if I do manage to lose 11 pounds it will make me lighter and therefore less tired when I run. Oh yeah speaking of running, I ran my personnel best today. 5.2 miles nonstop. Oh yes I did! I broke the 5 mile barrier WOW is all I can say. Wow? No what I said was OW. I felt that one. I have a couple of friends who are stepping up their training and inspiring me to start raising my own limits. I have raised the running with that one. In the middle of the 5 miles is a slow gradual 2 mile rise just enough that you wouldn’t notice it much when you drove in a car but enough to make it really suck when you’re running it. I was most happy with handling that sharp pain I get below my ankle on the inside of my foot. I felt it on the uphill (like I usually do) and I just focused on relaxing my ankles. Completely relaxing my legs and staying with that focus made the sharp pain go away and allowed me to finish the entire run. I have been feeling that for the last month or so when I run uphell (oops I mean uphill). If anyone knows what that is let me know so I can treat it better. All I am doing for it now is relaxing my ankles and feet when I run. I ran 5 miles straight. Wow I can hardly believe I ran that far. I think reading that book Born to Run was very inspiring and reading it really helped me have faith that I could finish 5 miles There is something powerful in leaving the house and saying I will run back here to this point without stopping no matter how slow I am going.



If I can run 5 straight miles I think I can call myself a runner now. Good thing I am married to a sexy super jock that runs twice my amount the same day and keeps me humble. Well

No comments:

Post a Comment